The Event grant is awarded annually to help finance Translation Studies events (conferences, symposia, guest lectures, courses, exhibitions). It may be used to cover a wide range of documented expenses such as bursaries, travel, accommodation, or preparation of conference materials.
Deadline: January 31, 2017
Amount: Up to 1000 euros
Rules and procedures
- At least one member of the organizing or scientific committee must be a paid-up member of the European Society for Translation Studies.
- The funds have to support a Translation Studies event. This may include symposia, courses, visits of keynote speakers, etc.
- Applications should explain the circumstances under which the request is made and include details about the specific use of the sum requested.
- The Event Grant Committee will conduct an evaluation of each application on the basis of: a) the needs demonstrated in the application, b) the importance of the event for the Translation Studies community, and c) compliance of the event with the EST’s general philosophy of making Translation Studies accessible to all.
- The sum granted will be transferred to the applicant’s account after invoices and/or receipts have been received.
- Applications should be sent by email to the Chair of the Event Grant Committee, Magdalena Bartłomiejczyk: magdalenabartlomiejczyk[at]hotmail.com. Reception will be acknowledged.
- The deadline for submitting applications for 2017 is January 31, 2017. The decision of the Committee will be announced at the beginning of March. The grant may thus be requested for events that are planned for between March 1, 2017 and March 31, 2018.
Previous beneficiaries of the grant
2008: Lawrence Venuti as a keynote speaker to the Translation in the Visual Culture Symposium held in Edinburgh, April 2009
2009: Bursaries for five postgraduate students attending the 6th International Conference "Critical Link", Aston University, Birmingham, July 2010
2011: Fachhochschule Köln for the organization of the conference Hermeneutics and Translation Studies, May 2011
2012: University of Portsmouth, for the organization of the conference 'Those Who Can, Teach': Translation, Interpreting and Training, November 3, 2012
2013: Conference on “Translation and Cinema”, Lviv, Ukraine, 13-14 March 2014, organized by the Ivan Franko National University of Lviv
2013: Media for All 5 conference, Dubrovnik, 25-27 September 2013, organized by the Croatian Association of Audiovisual Translators, Transmedia Research Group, and the University of Zagreb
2014: Going East: Discovering New and Alternative Traditions in Translation (Studies). University of Vienna, 12-13 December 2014
2015: Summer Interpreting and Translation Research Institute, jointly organized by Gallaudet University and the University of Maryland, United States, 2-7 August 2015
2016: Unlimited! International Symposium on Accessible Live Events. University of Antwerp, 29 April 2016