As in most other disciplines, free access to publications is also important in Translation Studies. The EST Open Access Prize, launched in cooperation with well-known publishing houses, allows an article to be made freely available in one of their otherwise subscription-only journals. The first Open Access prizes will be awarded during the EST Congress in Oslo in 2022.
– Benjamins: Babel, Interpreting, Journal of Internationalization and Localization (JIAL), Target, Translation Cognition & Behavior, Translation & Interpreting Studies, Translation Spaces, Translation & Translanguaging in Multilingual Contexts; for the second edition of the Award, also the new journal Translation in Society will be added.
– Routledge: Asia Pacific TIS, The Interpreter & Translator Trainer, Perspectives, Translation Studies, The Translator.
Eligibility and documentation
– At the moment of submission, you are a paid-up EST member for 2022.
– The online-first version of your article was published in one of the participating journals in 2019, 2020 or 2021.
– Only one submission per (co-)author is allowed. In the case of multi-authored articles, it is the corresponding author who submits the article. S/he must also inform all co-authors before the submission.
– Together with the article, the corresponding author shall submit a motivational statement of max. 500 words, explaining why s/he thinks the article deserves the Open Access Prize.
The Open Access Prize Committee will predominantly assess all submissions from the perspective of the excellence of the scholarly contribution (originality, significance, theoretical and methodological rigor). As an auxiliary criterion, the potential impact on the career of the applicant may be taken into account. Applicants should consider these criteria when writing their motivational statement.
– October 2021: call for submissions
– Deadline for submission: Applications must be submitted electronically to the EST Secretary General (email@example.com) in the period 1-15 January 2022.
– Decision of the Committee: by 15 April 2022
– 22-24 June 2022: Prizes awarded at the EST Congress in Oslo
For more details, download the call for applications here.