The Book Purchase Grant is awarded annually to enable an academic institution to purchase Translation Studies publications. The aim is to enhance translation research in new contexts.
Deadline: March 31
Amount: about EUR 1,000
John Benjamins Publishing offers a 30% discount on books from its series in Translation Studies, Interpreting and Terminology that are ordered within the framework of the grant.
Rules and Procedures
- All universities, faculties, departments and research centres are eligible to apply if at least one of their teaching staff, researchers or graduate students is a paid-up EST member.
- Applicants should send in an application describing their Translation Studies activities, including a list of relevant publications, theses and/or dissertations, as well as a list of books and materials they seek to purchase, with explanations and justifications as appropriate. The list may include journals, e-books, e-journals, and research software.
- Applications will be reviewed by the Committee, which has been appointed by the Executive Board of EST.
- Applications should be sent using the form available here.
- The Committee will review the applications and select one or more grantees on the basis of available funds, the applicant’s financial situation and the need demonstrated for financial support, the applicant’s literature requirements and TS activity as demonstrated in the application. The Committee will propose the names of the grantee(s) to the Executive Board, which will make the final decision.
- As a rule, the grantee purchases the materials and sends the invoices to the EST for reimbursement.
Previous beneficiaries of the grant
Since its inception in 2005, the grant has been awarded to the following institutions:
2006: Dipartimento di Lingue, Letterature e Culture Straniere, University of Messina, Italy
2008: Research Group 7 Reception and Descriptive Translation Studies, Centre for English Studies, University of Lisbon, Portugal
2008: Department of Translation Studies, School of English, Adam Mickiewicz University, Poznan, Poland
2009: Institute of English Studies, Pázmány Péter Catholic University, Hungary
2011: University American College Skopje, Macedonia
2011: Siberian Federal University, Russia
2012: Dokuz Eylul University, Faculty of Arts and Letters, Department of Translation and Interpreting, Izmir, Turkey
2013: Chair for Translator Education, Institute of Modern Languages, Pedagogical University of Kraków, Poland
2014: Centre for Translation Studies at the University of Tartu, Estonia
2015: Centro de Estudios en Traducción (CET), Facultad de Lenguas, Universidad Nacional del Comahue (UNCo), Argentina.
2016: Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences (Filozofski fakultet Osijek – FFOS) Croatia
2017: M.A. Program, Center of Linguistics and Literature, the College of Mexico Mexico
2018: Transilvania University of Brașov, Romania
2019: Chair of English Communication and Translation, Yerevan Brusov State University of Languages and Social Sciences, Armenia
2020: Department of English Philology and Translation Studies, St Petersburg University, Russia
2021: Department of Translation Studies and Contrastive Linguistics, Ivan Franko National University of Lviv, Ukraine